Richness of soil surrounding this town unsurpassed. No crop failure has ever been experienced in the history of this section.
The southern portion of Quitman County is best represented by the town of Vance because it is the largest organized community in that section of the county, and because it is noted for the richness of the soil surrounding it.
A singular fact is that Vance is a part of two counties. The southernmost extremity of Quitman County and the northern line of Tallahatchie County meet at Vance, and divide that busy little town in two. The county line runs midway through the town, leaving a part of the business district in Tallahatchie and the other part in Quitman.
However, the people are not falling out over a little thing like that. They co-operate in every way at Vance, and all are boosters for their favorably located neighborhood. There seems to be no denial of the supremacy of Cassidy Bayou. This stream runs through a large part of Quitman County, and everywhere the productivity of the soil is noted, and each year its superiority is confirmed.
Vance is named for Captain Calvin B. Vance [Calvin Brooks Vance 1842-1926], of Batesville, Panola county, one of Mississippi’s most distinguished sons, and formerly a prominent figure in the State Senate. General Vance’s son, Mr. E.Q. Vance [Earl Quimby Vance 1890-1964], is one of the leading merchants of the town.
This district has recently been made a new consolidated school district, and known as the Vance district. The sum of $15,000 has been appropriated for the erection of a new school building, and other conveniences are being provided which will make the community more desirable than ever for families with children to educate.
The people in this section are great enthusiasts for good roads, too. Two stretches of modern gravel highways are being built through Vance, which will connect this community with other and larger commercial centers. Into Coahoma County, and north to Lambert, in Quitman County, there will soon be splendid new highways. Not less than $150,00 is being spent in this section alone on good roads.
The new consolidated school building is to be built of brick, and will be provided with accommodations that will bring children from outlying districts. Plenty of pure artesian water is to be had in this center, and every natural advantage for the home builder is at hand.
Practically all the land along Cassidy Bayou in the Vance vicinity is of black sandy loam–the kind that never fails to produce. In all the history of this community it is a singular fact that a crop failure was never known. A testimonial for the productivity of the soil may be found in the fact that the State, after looking over every available field, decided to establish the new state farm in this section. No better soil, it is claimed, can be found anywhere in the world.
It is noteworthy that although Vance is a comparatively small town, no less than 5,000 bales of long-staple cotton is ginned each year and shipped from this point. During the fall season it is one of the busiest towns in the Delta, and prosperity is noticeable on every hand.
The firm of E.Q. Vance is one of the most prominent in that section of the state, and was established about four years ago. Mr. Vance carries on both a cash business and a credit business with families that require furnishing between crop seasons.
One of the South’s most extensive planters has large interests in the Vance section–Mr. M.P. Sturdivant, who is perhaps the largest land holder, for agricultural purposes, in the State of Mississippi. Mr. Sturdivant has holdings at Glendora, in Tallahatchie County, on a large-scale, as well as in other localities. He is said to be one of the few millionaire planters of Mississippi.
Among the strictly cash stores at Vance, Mr. F.M. Cribbs is regarded as having one of the most complete. Mr. Cribbs has a general merchandise business here of large proportions. The business was established in 1908, and has grown remarkably. This merchant also believes in Quitman County land, and cultivates successfully about 400 acres in the Vance neighborhood. Most of this land is planted in cotton.
The Post Office at Vance is located in the store of Mr. C.W. Allen who conducts a general merchandise business. Mr. Allen established his business here about four years ago. He came from Simpson County to the Delta two years prior to that, however, Mr. Allen does an exclusively cash business, and is considered one of the most progressive of Vance merchants.
A most complete store in every branch is that of Mr. S.N. Brown, at Vance. In addition to a general line of merchandise, Mr. Brown maintains a gasoline and service station, and is the authorized Notary Public at Vance.
Photo Provided By Chillin662 (Own work) [CC BY-SA 3.0], via Wikimedia Commons
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor