The present site of the town of Lambert was originally included in a large tract of land purchased for fifty cents ($0.50) an acre by the Quitman Development Company in the early 1900’s.
Among the stockholders in this company were Dr. J. D. Darby and Louis Stoltz, Evansville, Indiana; W. T. Covington, Belen, Mississippi; J. S. Johnson, Petersburg, Illinois; J. K. McDavid, Hillsboro, Illinois; W. J. Richardson, Perry County, Tennessee; and a Mr. Rice, Covington, Kentucky. Jack Cutrer, of Clarksdale, was attorney for the Development Co.
Before the town was incorporated, it was a logging camp known as O’Neal’s Switch, being named for two O’Neal brothers who were in the logging business. However the first post office was named Van Buren. On May 13, 1905, James K. Vardaman made the proclamation granting the charter for the town which was to be called Lambert, the maiden name of the wife of Dr. J. D. Darby, one of the most prominent and popular stockholders on the Quitman Development Company. Dr. Darby, a Presbyterian minister, built and donated the first church to Lambert, hoping that it would be a Presbyterian church. However, since no Presbyterian church was organized, the Christian congregation took it over and used the building until it burned. Dr. Darby also donated the land for the Lambert cemetery.
The plat of the town was made by G. C. Genung, a civil engineer of Evansville, Illinois, the avenues being named for the stockholders. Darby Avenue, which is commonly known as Main Street, is the principal street in the town.
Dr. H. D. Glass, whose widow lives in Lambert, was the first mayor of the town.
Cemetery and Bible Records of Quitman County, Mississippi, 1945-1951, James Gilliam Chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution.
Copyright © 2016
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor