Red Lake Bayou

Essex is on Highway 3 and the Yazoo and Mississippi Valley Railroad.  The railroad was built in 1900-1902.  The first train stopped at the present  Posey Mound Gin  and was called Weeks.  Later when the post office was begun, the railroad stop was moved to the present Essex and called by that name.  The voting precinct was called “Stalls”  because oxen were used to haul lumber and their stalls were about all one could see at that time.  There was another post office similar to the name Stalls so that name was not used.

This section was wooded and Mr. J.J. McPherson [John Jefferson McPherson 1864-1941] had a sawmill and cleared much of the land.

greenfadeCemetery and Bible Records of Quitman County, Mississippi, page 57, 1945-1951, James Gilliam Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution

Copyright © 2015-2016
All Rights Reserved with Full Rights Reserved for Original Contributor